Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Snow Cream.

There's something I think, that goes along with a 'vintage' way of life.  A desire to find purpose in the discarded, to reuse what was once loved...to see beauty in chips and rust and imperfections.

I would not call it frugality, though I believe in being frugal--and right now, have no choice but to be.

I think, perhaps, it's a longing for simplicity...

When I was a child, we used to make 'snow cream' an ice cream like concoction made from the fresh fallen white stuff.  Then came all the concerns about pollutants, and even acid in rain and snow.  Our snow cream days were over--even our childhood joy of catching flakes on our tongues was carefully monitored.  It was sad, and somehow felt like an era was past.

Today, I am writing this as big puffy snowflakes travel in an earthbound spiral past my window.  They add them selves to the plethora--and I mean plethora of snow already on the ground.  And I am thinking of snow cream.

I have Googled the safety of it, and found that the scientific snow eating experts say it's OK in moderation unless you live in a large city.

I live next to a corn field.

I have decided to embrace my inner child, do a little 'vintage' eating, and have some snow cream.


Snow Cream Recipe

Mix together 1/2 cup of whipping cream or cream of choice, 1 TBS sugar and 2-3 drops vanilla.  Slowly stir in 1-3 cups of clean snow, a little at a time, till it’s the right consistency.  You can adjust ingredients to suit your taste and experiment with flavors like cinnamon, butterscotch, lemon extract and eggnog.




No comments:

Post a Comment